Things to remember:
- Keep your items simple and in odd numbers - designing centerpieces (flower arrangements, candlescapes...) in odd numbers provides more visual interest.
- Identical items make your centerpiece less fussy.
- You can do this with anything: candles, fruit, bud vases with a single flower. In the fruit category, apples, pears, and lemons work very well.
- Your base can be anything from a candle base to a serving platter. Just keep it simple (no extra patterns) and narrow (you want room for that cup of coffee and plate of dessert on your coffee table).
- Use contrasting colors to make your centerpiece stand out (since its design is simple, color will provide interest).